Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My French bulldog pup has a few little patches of fur

My French bulldog pup has a few little patches of fur missing, they almost look like carpet burn off jumping off the sofa but now I've noticed it I see a few more little ones. He scratches the area which is why I think the fur is missing. He had no fleas, up to date with injections a clean pup. I changed food and jolleys (pet store) think it might be that so he's now on grain free me natural treats.He's fine in himself jumping around as normal just a little worried.He loves running around my grandads garden, my grandad thinks it could be maybes a plant irration.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Laura, can you upload a photo(s) of representative skin to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. You appear to be describing demodectic mange in a young dog.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok I'll send some pictures now, thankyou

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

Yes, this is most typical of demodicosis ("red mange") at his age. It's easy to confirm by Kev's vet who needs to skin scrape around the periphery of the hair loss. It isn't necessary to treat a focal juvenile demodicosis because the great majority of dogs will normalize within a few months but if you choose to do so the easiest manner in which to treat is with one dose of the oral NexGard (afoxolaner) which lasts 3 months and prevents fleas, ticks, and mange mites. This product can be prescribed by Kev's vet. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thankyou for your help kev has an appointment at his vets for Wednesday for the scrape test, I hope everything will be ok

You're quite welcome. Kev's prognosis is very good. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.