Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Our dog has started to smell fishy all the time. We took her

Our dog has started to smell fishy all the time. We took her to the vet and she had her anal glands emptied. The vet said they were moderately full and the extracted fluid was normal. We then bathed her, but a day later the smell returned. She keeps licking her tail and anal area.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Kirstin, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. This will sound icky but did Tilly's vet have you smell the anal sac gland exudate to see if its smell was what you've been smelling? A "fishy" odor is certainly consistent with anal gland exudate and Tilly's licking of that area is consistent with anal gland irritation. If you can correlate the odor with her anal sac glands, they should be thoroughly flushed with an antimicrobial solution and then packed with an antibiotic/antiyeast/antiinflammatory ointment such as one we might use in Tilly's ears. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.