Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My rabbit sounds as if she is sniffing. There's no nasal or

Customer Question

My rabbit sounds as if she is sniffing. There's no nasal or eye discharge. Any suggestions what I should do. She's showing no signs of being unwell. Eating, pooing, peeing and doing binkies.Thank you
Gillian
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This sniffing sound is intermittent - some times it's continual for 1-2mins and then it stops for half an hour. I wondered if she had something up her nose?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner, Gillian. We call this "the snuffles" in rabbits. Numerous infectious diseases are associated with disease of the upper respiratory tract in rabbits; they're due mainly to bacterial agents, but in rare cases, viral, fungal, or parasitic pathogens may be involved as well. These agents also produce lower respiratory disease with classic clinical signs and presentation of pneumonia. The most significant pathogen is Pasteurella multocida and we also find Bordetella, Pseudomonas, and staphylococcus species.

Treatment of Pasteurella should be our focus. Various treatment options are reported in the literature. Infection was eliminated in 7 of 8 rabbits treated with enrofloxacin (Baytril) at 5mg/kg subcutaneously every 12 hours for 14 days. Enrofloxacin given in the drinking water (50-100mg/L) for two weeks was similarly effective if our rabbits drank enough so that the daily intake of the drug was greater than 5mg/kg. Ciprofloxacin (20mg/kg) by mouth daily for 5 days eliminated infection in groups of rabbits in studies. Finally, one researcher reported success in control of chronic cases of confirmed pasteurellosis using enrofloxacin (5-10mg/kg orally every 12 hours) or chloramphenicol (50mg/kg orally every 12 hours) for up to 2-3 months.

These antibiotics are available from your vet who can also show you how to administer enrofloxacin by injection - my therapy of choice. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Excellent Advice sir. I will contact my vet on Monday. Many thanks

Thank you for your kind words, You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have read up on "the snuffles" and how to tell if your rabbit is suffering from this condition. My rabbit does not have running eyes or nose. She is showino symptoms of being unwell apart from a sound like "pss" she's making intermittently.
Do you stand by your diagnosis of "the snuffles"?

Please note that I'm not allowed diagnose through this venue - only suggest what should be considered. In Milly's case early snuffles makes the most sense. If untreated, Milly is likely to suffer from both runny eyes and nose in time.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you again. I will see my vet tomorrow and hopefully this can be nipped in the bud and before it becomes acute.

It's my pleasure. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.