Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I've just bought a sprocker spaniel last week. He is 9 weeks

Hi My name is ***** ***** I've just bought a sprocker spaniel last week. He is 9 weeks old and he came to my and my partner with worms and fleas. We gave him a worming tablet and the worms started to show in his poo but there was also blood and diarohea. We have changed his food and we have put advantage flea treatment on him but we put it on him twice in one week. Could this be causing the intense itching and diaorreha
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear that Murdoch is intensely itchy and has diarrhea with blood after being treated for worms and fleas and changing his food.

Gastrointestinal parasites can lead to loose stools, sometimes with blood. But if he is straining a lot to pass loose stools with the worms and has large quantities of worms being passed then he may have some secondary inflammation and bleeding from that too. Also a sudden change in diet could cause diarrhea and some subsequent bleeding. And perhaps the new food isn't agreeing with him, which could lead to loose stools.

Was his stool tested so you know what parasites he had and thus what wormer/medications to use? It is entirely possible he has several and may need more/different medications to treat gastrointestinal parasites.

How is he feeling in general? Is he eating well and active? Any vomiting? if he seems otherwise normal then I would feel that this is more likely related to all of the changes and medications that he's had and he should come along with time and supportive care.

Two doses of Advantage are much too much and could make him a bit itchy, although the fleas could too. Are there any raw spots where the Advantage was applied?

Have you treated your home and other pets too for fleas? If not that needs to be done.

Please give me a moment to type up my recommendations.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 month ago.

He should have several fresh (as soon as possible after they are passed) stool samples submitted to his veterinarian to be sent to the diagnostic laboratory for a parasite check. Puppies can have protozoa parasites as well as worms. You can also use a worming medication like Fenbendazole or Pyrantel to treat him for the most common worm parasites in the meantime. These are considered safe to use in puppies according to Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook.

Because he's had abnormal stools his intestinal bacteria population may not be a normal one, and you may need to replace normal gut bacteria with a probiotic, such as Proviable, Benebac, or Fortiflora.

Today you can start Kao-pectate (kaolin and pectin only products are safe even for puppies) at 1ml per pound or 1 tablespoon per 15 pounds of body weight every 6 to 8 hours. This is quite safe and will coat his irritated gi tract as well as absorbing bacterial toxins. You can use it for several days until his stools look normal. You can find kao-pectate at the drug store.

You can also try feeding him a bland diet of 2/3 boiled, white rice and 1/3 boiled lean hamburger or chicken in small meals several times a day. Since you are seeing blood in his stools adding 1 tablespoon of pumpkin to his meals as fiber soothes an irritated colon. Ideally he should be eating a puppy food now, and that is what you need to transition him to as his diarrhea clears, but for now it is more dangerous for him to become dehydrated because he has diarrhea so we need to get his diarrhea stopped.

If he stops eating, or starts vomiting he needs to see her veterinarian as soon as possible.

Advantage is effective but it can be irritating and drying to his skin/coat, so that may be why he is so itchy. And it doesn't help to just repeatedly treat him.

Please realize that only 5% of the fleas live on your animals.
95% of them (eggs, larvae, hatching adults) are actually living on the environment. So if you have an active flea problem and don't treat the environment it will take a long time to resolve.
I recommend that you vacuum your home like crazy, throw away the vacuum bag in a sealed garbage bag and treat your environment with an effective area treatment like Siphotrol Plus II Premise Spray. It should be used every 2 weeks and no vacuuming for 2 to 3 days after using it to allow it to settle in. It has both an adulticide and an insect growth regulator so larvae and eggs don't mature. See this link for more information: http://www.drugs.com/vet/vet-kem-siphotrol-plus-ii-premise-spray.html
A premise spray is better than bombs because a premise spray can be directed into areas that flea bombs miss, like under cushions and furniture as well as along the baseboards where fleas and their eggs hide.
Of course you need to treat outdoors with a product that kills adults and inhibits development of eggs and larvae as well. Areas with direct sunlight will have faster degradation of products, and heavy rains will wash the product away so you may need to treat more frequently.

Best of luck with your pup, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have just changed him back onto his old food to try and settle his stomach but I've just given him his second meal of the day and he hasn't touched it. When we bought him off the breeder he gave us a tablet and said it was a flea and worm tablet. It was Milquantel 2.5mg. He seems to be ok still playful, no vomiting but forever itching and irritated. There are two spots but not were I applied the treatment. I've used deflea treatment on my carpets and his bed
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 month ago.

Even though you are going back to his original food because his stomach is upset he may not eat that or have diarrhea with that too. I would recommend the bland diet mix I described for now.

Milquantel 2.5mg contains MILBEMYCIN OXIME and PRAZIQUANTEL

It is used for heartworm prevention and to treat a wide variety of worm parasites. It does not treat protozoal parasites, nor does it treat fleas.

I may be that he is overwhelmed by fleas, but I am worried he may have a type of mange called sarcoptes or demodex. I highly recommend that he see a veterinarian for a skin scraping as a precaution.

Continue treating your home for fleas. Although soft bedding and carpets are favored spots baseboard areas and under furniture even on hard flooring can support a flea population.