Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

I’ve got a 9 week puppy and I’m really worried about worms.

I’ve got a 9 week puppy and I’m really worried about worms. He’s been wormed and will be regularly but I’m worried that when he poos on a pavement for instance and I can’t get all of it up will eggs survive on it and be a danger? Do eggs really survive for years? Do I need to scrub the area when out and about? Thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

If Scooby has been wormed recently, it is unlikely that he has any worm eggs in his stool. I would not be concerned about this since no eggs were present. If there were any eggs, these cannot survive in the environment and can be unviable with heat and time. There are certain parasite eggs that can remain viable for months such as roundworm eggs that will become the larvae but , like I said, if sweet Scooby is worm free, you do not have to worry...it is other dogs that would cause reinfection.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
if he did poo in a public place and had round worms would there be a risk of eggs being left behind if it was impossible to clean it all up, say he had soft stools for example. Would it be best to carry a water bottle to rinse the area?

Yes, you are correct....the eggs could be left behind and another dog could pick them up on their paws and become infected if it had turned into the larvae. Rinsing the area would decrease the exposure for sure. Good for you!!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks you have reassured me

You are very welcome!! I am impressed at what good care you are taking with your sweet Scooby...keep up the good work!!