Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I am shortly due to collect a rescue cat from the RSPCA. He

Customer Question

I am shortly due to collect a rescue cat from the RSPCA. He is 15, had to have dental surgery and cyst removed from outer head. He had bad thyroid problem, painfully thin, etc,. and I have been told that his thyroid was removed (don't know if one or two) and that he has lost his meow. I haven't seen this problem mentioned in any of he web info - is it anything to worrry about? Has damage been done? All this surgery was carried out last Friday - 5 days ago. Would much appreciate your expert opinion - the third time I've bothered you over the years and am most grateful for your responses. Kind regards ***** *****
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 13 days ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. There are quite a few possible complications following thyroidectomy - hemorrhage and swelling which could make vocalization painful, Horner's syndrome (an interruption in the sympathetic nervous chain), hypocalcemia due to inadvertent removal of the parathyroid glands, and the most important consideration when vocalization is altered - damage to the recurrent laryngeal nerve. Return to normal vocalization in this case would be predicated upon the extent of damage. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.