Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years
45762142

I adopted a female Persian age 14 about 2years ago now. She

I adopted a female Persian age 14 about 2years ago now. She came from a acouple that had quite a few cats. I love her so much she is best thing in my life. But having a few problems with her since I've had her. She is keeping me up at night. I wake up between 3-5am with the strangest loud echo meow from her. She jumps up on the bed and wants a cuddle for a while then leaves and continues her meowing. I then get up at this time and she becomes settled and falls asleep in her bed. She is also like this when I leave to go to the shops, I come back and she is meowing at my front door. I also have a problem with her toilets. I have 2 separate trays laid separate in the bathroom. I have went through different litters and I clean the trays every few days. She tends to sometimes urinate on the tile walls and also soils on the floor away from her tray. I have had her bloods and urine checked from my local vet and all is good and they have put it down to old age. Please if you can help with any more advice I would appreciate it.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I am still waiting for a response to my enquiry that I posted early this morning
Expert:  Dr. Sara replied 12 days ago.

Hi this is Dr Sara. I am sorry for the delay. At first, with the vocalizing, I was thinking she was hyperthyroid but you mentioned that all the blood work is normal. I just read an article about managing cognitive dysfunction in pets (alzheimer like). I will pass that info along, just have to run upstairs to get it. Hold for a minute.

Expert:  Dr. Sara replied 12 days ago.

Alright, so there are a few things you can try, not in any particular order, just what you are comfortable with.

SSRI medication which would be Prozac

Feliway which is a natural pheremone that has calming effects on many cats. If you look up online, you will find all the formulations available.

Selegiline Hydrochloride (Anipryl) is a medication made by Zoetis; a veterinary company that has hit or miss success. This would have to be prescribed by your veternarian.

Hill's Science Diet, J/D food. It is designed for cats with osteoarthritis but has high levels of antioxidants and fatty acids that can be beneficial for the brain.

So, here are all the options I know of. You could also look at a pet store for some formulated herbal/homeopathic remedies formulated for cats. You may try the "natural" type approach first and then consider medications if you aren't seeing improvements.

Hope this is helpful.

Expert:  Dr. Sara replied 12 days ago.

Hi there, just checking to see if you have any more questions?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
That's great thank you very much for your response. I will try a few things out. Do you think it could be her memory that is causing her doing the toilets on the floor than her litter tray and the cause of the meowing at night?
Expert:  Dr. Sara replied 7 days ago.

Yes, I do. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
That's great many thanks