Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My dog is not eating has a swollen stomach and his poo is

Customer Question

my dog is not eating has a swollen stomach and his poo is bright yellow he has developed a pouch under his chin and drinking plenty water
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 27 days ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 27 days ago.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Does he have diarrhea?

3- Is he drinking more than usual?

4- Can you describe the appearance of the pouch under the chin?

5- How much does he weigh?

6- How long has he had the swollen stomach? Did it come on quickly?

7- Is he lethargic or restless?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
started about 3 weeks ago yes constant diarrhoea yes loads to drink puch can fit in my hand can move freely Dog is dosile when walking dog just sits and wants to go back
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 27 days ago.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 27 days ago.

Friend, the abdominal swelling you are describing can be caused by many different medical conditions. I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are fluid build-up (ascites) secondary to heart, liver or kidney disease, a tumor, hormonal (cushing's), etc. The increase in water intake is secondary to any of the above-mentioned diseases. The pouch you are seeing could be edema (fluid in between the tissues) which can happen if the patient is drinking too much or there is low protein. The yellow color diarrhea happens when the intestines are overactive; again, this is a consequence of any of the above mentioned diseases.

In this case, to pinpoint the exact underlying cause your dog will need a hands-on examination by a veterinarian, blood work, and x-rays as an initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. Not much I can recommend for you to try at home that would have any significant therapeutic benefit, I am sorry. Strongly recommend having him checked today.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter