Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 15 yr old cat has been in a bad way since going under

Customer Question

my 15 yr old cat has been in a bad way since going under anaesthetic 4 days ago.
he hasn't eaten, wont groom or purr, and is just lying on the sofa all the time
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
he was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and prescribed medicine. before going under anaesthesia he was behaving normally .he looks half dead now...hasnt passed wasted in 4 days either
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 25 days ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Joe, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Mopi needs to be re-examined by whoever anesthetized him at your earliest convenience. Any cat and, in particular, a 15 year old, who hasn't eaten (or drank?) in 4 days is critically ill and in need of supportive care while hospitalized. My primary concern is that his blood pressure dropping while anesthetized has badly affected his kidney function and you're now seeing a cat in renal failure. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
thanks for that Dr Salkinhe is drinking water.
Infact when he came back from the vets drank more water than i've ever seen him do beforei think i will take him back to the veterinary hospital and give him one last chance
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 24 days ago.

You're welcome, Joe. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Thanks Dr SalkinI took him to the vets earlier, and they confirmed his kidneys (as well as his heart) were failing himThey also said he was suffering.I decided upon on advice to have him put to sleepHe was a great cat and I'll always remember him. We buried him in his favourite spot in the garden.[img]https://i.imgur.com/0Ko2sA6.jpg[/img]

My condolence for your loss of Mopi. Regretfully, Imgur won't load that link for me.