Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a 15 week old, 10Kg old tyme english bulldog puppy.

Customer Question

I have a 15 week old, 10Kg old tyme english bulldog puppy. He just now at 7:30pm ingested a small sports sock made from the same material ladies tights are made from, and then a few minutes after eating the sock we gave him some semi skimmed milk from the fridge as he wasnt drinking any water. I'm very concerned and i dont know what to do. He is not lactose intolerant at all and enjoys the milk we give him 3 times a week. His last meal was at 4:50pm and consisted of mince beef and frozen mixed vegetables which we defrosted before hand. In between now (7:49pm) and then he hasnt been for a poo. Should I be worried or will it come out naturally?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 26 days ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Angela, rather than waiting to see if Rolo can pass this unaided, I'd like to see if we can induce emesis with 1.5 tablespoons (22.5 mL) of 3% hydrogen peroxide given to Rolo with a small poultry baster placed between his cheek teeth and cheek. He should vomit within 15 minutes. If not, please repeat the same dose. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Hello Doctor I've only just seen your reply, internet issues! Thank you for getting back to me so promptly. Rolo has fallen asleep now and is snoring away, his behaviour had been normal. Should I wake him and try what you recommended? I don't have hydrogen peroxide at home, is there an alternative house product i can use?

I understand! At this point it's questionable if a sock is still in Rolo's stomach but it's well worth inducing emesis to see if it is. Regrefully, no, only hydrogen peroxide is considered safe enough for inducing emesis. Your alternative is continuing to monitor Rolo. The tell-tale signs of small intestine obstruction are persistent vomiting and/or anorexia and if either arose, Rolo's vet will want to attend to Rolo promptly - an intestinal ultrasound or barium study would be in Rolo's future. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Thank you once again for your prompt response Doctor Salkin, where can I obtain 3% hydrogen peroxide from? Local pharmacy? Supermarket? Is there any particular brand? Bear in mind I live in London UK, and I don't know how readily available 3% Hydrogen Peroxide is.

3% hydrogen peroxide is a common skin disinfectant in the USA but it might be a prescription item in the UK. I see that Lloyd's Pharmacy requires a prescription for it...which I find odd. That would certainly put a crimp in my idea. If that's the case your options become having a vet induce emesis with an injection of apomorphine or continuing to monitor the cutest puppy in the world for those symptoms I mentioned. He's of a weight that he should be able to pass a small sock unaided but I can't promise you that that will be the case. Please continue our conversation if you wish.