Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Do you think it's fair to keep a dog alive when he had fits

Customer Question

Do you think it's fair to keep a dog alive when he had fits since was was 14weeks old. Drugs are not controlling it. He had all the test and scan and he has ephalise. He now been fitting for 5days and is on loads of drugs and diaspian
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 23 days ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Debbie, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It all boils down to quality of life to me. If my patient's quality of life is unacceptable to my patient - he can't do "dog things" that other dogs can do, or its quality of life is unacceptable to its caretaker - it's difficult to watch a dog repeatedly seize and/or the financial and husbandry commitment to such a dog is intolerable or unsupportable, then euthanasia should be considered a kindness.

Free now to run, jump and play

Or snooze in the shade on a sunny day

To sit for hours watching birds in the trees

Or to lie on the porch and enjoy the breeze

Free from sickness that made me weak

Restored to the dog that I was at my peak

You made the right choice for me my friend

Be at ease with yourself and let your heart mend

No more vets, shots or pill

And while you can't see me, I'm here with you still

For though you may think that we really did part

I'm there in your memories, I'm here in your heart

-------anonymous

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.