Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

Whilst walking this afternoon in the field my black Labrador

Customer Question

Whilst walking this afternoon in the field my black Labrador 8yrs old started kind of padling and shaking and just stopped. After comforting her and putting her back on the lead she was back to normal. Should I worry !
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

1- Did she fall?

2- Did she lose consciousness?

3- Has this happen before?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She did stop walk and sat and lent against my legs, she did not lose consciousness this has not happened before
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Friend, what you are describing is consistent with a seizure. When a dog seizes there could be an underlying medical problem causing the seizure. Possible causes for seizures in dogs are an underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism), kidney or liver disease, hypoglycemia, brain tumors, idiopathic (unknown), etc. to name a few causes. One of the most common cause is idiopathic epilepsy, meaning we do not know why the brain behaves in such manner but we can control the seizures with medications (phenobarbital or/and potassium bromide).

In this case, I would highly recommend a check-up with the family veterinarian for a hands on examination and blood work as an initial screening test to rule out the above-mentioned diseases. If the seizures occur more than once a month medication should be started to stop or prevent the seizures. For now, observe her if she seizes again have her checked by ER veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter