Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Found 1 of my budgies on avairy floor this morning. it

found 1 of my budgies on avairy floor this morning. it appears to have lost its sense of balance. it flaps feebly as if trying to right itself and is arching its head and tail. it also had faeces crusted to its underneath that i have cleared away. it is currently resting on my chest whilst i type this. i have no idea what caused this. the avairy containes 3 other budgies who all appear in good health

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Devon. The behavior you're seeing - arching - is called opisthonos and indicates central nervous system involvement in a disease process - genetic abnormalities, neoplasms, metabolic diseases, malnutrition, exposure to toxins, trauma; bacterial, viral, fungal, or parasitic infections. The two most common conditions are vitamin D3 deficiency and lead poisoning. Nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. What have your budgies' diet consisted of, please? Seeds should compose less than 20% of their diet. A diet of mainly seed and nuts has excessive fat, carbohydrates, and phosphorus; marginal protein; adequate vitamin E, and are deficient in amino acids, calcium, available phosphorus, sodium, manganese, zinc, iron, vitamins A, D3 (necessary for efficient absorption of calcium), K, and B12, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, choline, and available niacin. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The diet is most seed based with occasional fruit/veg treats. Is there anything I can do for Devon in meantime?

Yes, dose Devon directly into his mouth with one drop of an over the counter vitamin supplement such as Oasis brand available where bird supplies are sold and then place this vitamin product in the water of all of your birds as per the label's instruction. It would be prudent to also supplement with a calcium product such as Calciboost or Calcivet. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your advice.

You're quite welcome. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.