Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My dog has been sick in and off for over a week now. It

Hi there,
My dog has been sick in and off for over a week now.
It seems he keeps throwing up his Butchers Patte which we have fed him on since he was a puppy.
He won’t eat dry food, so we tried him on some Chicken and Rice, which he also threw up.
He seems okay, other than the inability to keep food down. He’s still playing and toileting as usual.
He has lost a lot of weight and seems to be thirsty.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- So basically, he keeps throwing up his food, correct?

2- Is it fair to say he is drinking more than usual?

3- How much does he weigh?

4- Breed?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it appears to be undigested, which makes me think it might actually be regurgitation rather than actual vomit?Yes, he is drinking water - not excessively more than usual. Perhaps slightly.He weighs 6lbs and is a Pedigree Maltese

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, you are right, when we see vomiting of undigested food it is called "regurgitation" as the food has not been digested. Possible causes could be esophagus disorders (megaesophagus, strictures, parasites), gastritis, or even part of a systemic disease. I am going to make some recommendations that you can try at home. If he continues to regurgitate the next step is a hands-on examination with your family veterinarian and x-rays as an initial screening test. This is what you can try:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start him on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).

2- No food for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

Note: When you feed him raise his eating dish on to a small stool to force him to raise his head when he is eating.

4- If he continues to regurgitate after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination and x-rays as an initial screening test.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you, ***** *****
I will definitely try the above and see if that helps.