Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

We have a 12 year collie cross spaniel every now and then he

we have a 12 year collie cross spaniel every now and then he collapses and cries he also wee,s him self and dribbles it last for about 2 or 3 minutes and then he,s fine

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

How long has he had these signs?

Does he seem to lose consciousness or paddle his legs when he collapses?

Does he just seem weak?

Has he been drinking more?

Does his urine seem dilute/watery or dark/odorous?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hi he,s had this problem about 6 months,he does not lose consciousness, he does not seem weak,and dose not drink any more than usual, his urine does seem a little darker i hope this helps thanks terry.

Hello Terry,

My apologies for my delay in reply. As I am sure you can appreciate, my own patients keep me quite busy during the week.

Now collapse in older dogs is something we can see for a few different reasons. From what you have described in your reply, I'd be less worried about seizures and brain lesions but would be concerned about possible heart issues or that we have a severe/intermittent spinal or nerve issue. As well, I cannot exclude underlying arthritis playing a role but it sounds like it may be a side issue if present as opposed to the primary problem. And I would just note since his urine is concentrated, the dribbling is likely a side effect and not pathological itself.

With this all in mind, if he were my patient, I'd want an exam (not an emergency) to assess his heart alongside a neurological check to determine if there is any spinal or nerve involvement. At the same time, his joints cold be checked as well. That way we can pinpoint the root cause and that will allow us to target treatment to reduce these episodes for him. Any delay and we could at least try to reduce any arthritis component with OTC joint supports (ie glucosamine, chondroitin, omega 3 fish oils, Duralactin). And I'd note the omega 3's are natural anti-inflammatories which may also help with mild inflammation in the nerves/spine.

Overall intermittent signs of this nature do raise a few concerns. So, the above is what we'd want to be looking into at this stage .And its ideal to do that sooner rather then later since that way we can head off any risk of these signs progressing.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

*********************************

I aim to provide the best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) afterwards as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra fee for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**