Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

Swelling on dog's anus, she been licking, very red and sore

swelling on dog's anus, she been licking, very red and sore

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Can you post a picture of her anus in this chat?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I noticed earlier today that she had a bald spot next to her anus. Tonight she has been agitated, whining and running from place to place. Then I felt it and it is very swollen on one side of her anus and very red all round so she must have been licking it. I dont know how to send a picture

1- Did this came on quickly?

2- You can download the picture by using the paper clip icon that is on top of your reply screen. Can you send the picture?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just want an answer on what you think it might be. I will be taking her to the vet but if it is urgent I will get an emergency appointment

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Sherley, it sounds like she may have an infected/impacted anal gland. Dogs have two anal glands inside of their rectum when the ducts become occluded it becomes impacted/infected and it will develop into a growth that could rupture on the side of the anal sphincter. This is not a life-threatening condition but it should be seen by a veterinarian. This is not an emergency, it can wait to see your family veterinarian. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not let her lick the area. Pick up an E collar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking/gnawing the affected area. For tonight you can put a t-shirt on her to cover the area and prevent her from licking.

2- If the swelling ruptures pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Dilute 1-2 tablespoon for every cup of water. Use this mixture to flush the opening 2-3 times a day.

3- Apply topical cortisone cream to the area 2-3 times a day.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you

You're welcome. :)