Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 10 year old 6kg has allergic conjunctivitis. We think it

My 10 year old 6kg ***** ***** has allergic conjunctivitis. We think it is triggered by dust so are careful with cleaning etc. She is already on 2 x 4mg piriton a day. They don't seem to be working as well now so the vet said to increase up to 4 tablets 4 x a day. It seems a lot and she is already very sleepy. I asked for an antihistamine eye drop without steroid but he said they won't work so gave Maxitrol again. I am worried about using it so much. Are there any other options? I really was hoping for an antihistamine drop. Thank you.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Chloe. It's not unreasonable to see how an over the counter antihistamine ophthalmic solution such as one containing ketotifen (Zaditor) available in your local druggist affects Chloe. Dosing is that of an adult human. Dosing of chlorphenamine (Piriton) shouldn't exceed 2 - 8 mg/dog 2-3 times daily. Please note, however, that antihistamines aren't reliably effective when given systemically to address allergies (atopy, flea saliva, food) in dogs. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Thank you so much. If the Zaditor drops work are they okay to use continuously?

Yes, just as a systemic antihistamine can be taken as need be by our pets and us. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Brilliant, I will definitely try them! Thank you again that has been very helpful.

You're quite welcome. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return. I'll be offline between tonight and 01/30.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi, I have tried to find ketotifen drops in the UK and can't locate without a prescription! Is there an alternative? Thanks very much

I'm sorry for the nuisance. You should be able to find Opticrom Allergy Eye Drops without a prescription which contain sodium cromoglicate 2% - a mast cell stabilizer that acts as an antihistamine.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Brilliant I'll let you now how it goes, thank you!

You're quite welcome.