Mike
Mike, VW Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

VW GOLF 2003 TDI 1.9 CUTS OUT WHEN WARM THEN STRUGGLED TO START

Customer Question

VW GOLF 2003 TDI 1.9 CUTS OUT WHEN WARM THEN STRUGGLED TO START AGAIN HAD ECU TESTED OK RENEWED CRANK SHAFT SENSOR STILL CUTS OUT check wires in head for injectors AS WELL
Category: Volkswagen
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help you with this..

When the engine is running - driving... is it smooth or rough / misfiring... espeically at idle.... ?

What mileage is on the car ?

What is its service /recent repair history?

Do you have any fault lights on the dash at all when driving or when this happens...?

To help me to help you further - please give me the cars full reg number too -

Rgds, MIKE..................................................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi mike. Cant give the reg due to being at home now.But when car is driven it drives fine but will cut out and then start after about a minute of cranking. The customer left this problem for a while which burnt the starter motor out so we replaced that and as i have already said we replaced the crank sensor and had ecu tested due to codes that came up. One was rpm signal and one was ecu no signal.But does sometimes run rough when at idle.

Unfortunately we do not know the service history and the customer is less than forthcoming. The mileage is around 124000.

All of the fault codes have now disappeared and none appear when fault present.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hi again Darren - thank you for your reply and info..

The reg would have Identified exactly which you have -but you mention checking the injection loom in the head - so Im assuming from that , its the PD Tdi...

That being the case, there is a common issue with that will cause what you describe, the excessive cranking time etc - and that is a faulty Ect sensor - what is known as sensor 1.

So I suggest on the basis of what you have outlined so far that it would be well worth renewing that ... as you know , its not expensive and quick to do. They dont always give fault codes for these when faulty neither - and again, will cause the symptoms inc the cutting / stalling as you describe because the Ecm is getting a false signal meaning it then commands the fuelling system incorrectly as needed...

So I strongly suggest do that and Im sure that will cure this for you -Its certainly the way to go on this one..

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

>> >> Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.