Mike, VW Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

I have a Volkswagen golf mark 4 estate 2 litre windscreen wipers

Customer Question

I have a Volkswagen golf mark 4 estate 2 litre windscreen wipers only working very slowly what ever speed I choose
Category: Volkswagen
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

Such a problem as you have does usually turn to be the linkage - though it will be the motor if all else is ruled out.

What you need to do is fully check the linkage - by that I mean - the ball joints that connect the linkages together yes - but often the fault is in one or the other ( sometimes both! ) of the "spndles"... where the linkage goes up through the body to where the arms connect. Water over the years gets in there and starts to seize the operation - slowing them down.

What I suggest you do is disconnect the linkage from the motor fully then manually move / operate the linkages and you should be able to feel if its too stiff. You can also switch the wiper motor on to see how its running - it should run through the various speeds - select all the speeds to check and you can tell if its that or linkages / spindles as above.

Whichever you find will need replacing - as a quick fix - if its the spindles (one or the other as it usually is ) you can carefully use a blow lamp to heat up the spindles - while in situ - then as you do, operate the linkages until they free off... that will do until you replace it if its that. If its the motor, replacement is recommended there.

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

>> >> Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.