Mike
Mike, VW Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I bought a vehicle (Volkswagon Sharan - 2005 - 60,000 miles)

Customer Question

I bought a vehicle (Volkswagon Sharan - 2005 - 60,000 miles) 3 weeks ago and subsequently had it checked over by the mechanic who has serviced my vehicles in the past.
The mechanic advised me that the clutch and flywheel were badly worn and would be in need of repair imminently.
I went back to my supplier (Bristol Street Motors) who examined it and said that it would pass the MOT and therefore it was OK.
I have a 12 month warranty on this vehicle. Am I able to demand that they replace the clutch and flywheel?
Category: Volkswagen
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help / advise you with this.

First, Im sorry to hear of the issue you have - its very disappointing to say the least when you purchase a vehicle and have such issues.

Ok well, the first thing to say is - the fact that "it will pass the MOT" - is irrelevant... why they said that I really dont know- they know its irrelevant. The clutch is not covered by anything to do with an MOT.

What is covered -by the trading standards act - is that the vehicle must be of merchantable quality and fit for purpose.
I cant go into giving you any legal advice , Im not allowed but I can tell you that much - and that if you need to , you can ask your local TSO ( trading standards office ) for help and back up with them on that ..

The trouble with clutches is - they are a "wear and tear" item - so any garage, can claim that its not covered by any warranty - though all warranties are different so I suggest first to check the "whats covered" section... and go from there then on that.

If its not covered - and if the clutch is really on its last legs- and not going to last you much longer at all - then you can go down the lines of "merchantable quality" etc as above.

You would need to check things as above though - get your facts etc all correct first before approaching the garage again.... that will give you a better chance of "no hassle success"... ie, its no good to just go and "demand"... much better to do it that way to have a chance of a free clutch out of them for the reasons mentioned above.

Let me know if you need anything more on this though.... Im always happy to help more / advise more if you need...

>> >> Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.