Mike, VW Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

my 2000 vw polo has an intermittent cutting out fault.It cuts

Customer Question

my 2000 vw polo has an intermittent cutting out fault.It cuts out suddenly when idling. code readers show no faults. We have replaced temp sensors, crankshaft sensor and fuel pump relay. we have replaced fuel pump and starter motor. it often restarts after cooling down for about 20 mins. auto electrician checked it and could not find any electrical faults. it sems to run for approx 15 -20 mins before cutting out.
Category: Volkswagen
Expert:  markthebooler replied 3 years ago.

markthebooler :

markthebooler :

When the engine cuts out, will it start again right away?

JACUSTOMER-bzv4gdin- :

As mentioned already it usually takes about 20 minutes to restart (after cooling down?)

JACUSTOMER-bzv4gdin- :

Any chance of any communication here?

JACUSTOMER-bzv4gdin- :

Hi have you any ideas or suggestions yet? We have tried everything we can think of!

markthebooler :

Does it get a spark at the sparkplugs after it has cut out?

JACUSTOMER-bzv4gdin- :

Thanks for nothing!

Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I've been working hard to find another Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i think it still gets a spark yes

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is MIKE- I have been asked to help you with this issue -

Im sorry to see you have had problems --

As regards the faults you have with your Polo - there are a couple of things that can cause this -

You have done the obvious -ie, the crank sensor and fuel relay etc - Im assuming as you say there are no fault codes, that there is no engine system fault light coming on either then -

In that case - this comes down to three possibilities....

One is the ignition coil and amp pack - Assuming this is the Vw Polo AER engine range - if different just let me know... The coil on this is mounted to the bulkhead at the passenger side - Underneath that is the ignition amplifier - they often fail in the way you describe. Again - if its that system, I suggest to replace both the coil and the amp. You can buy them separately - but they should really be replaced as a set / pair...

Now I know you said it still sparks when it breaks down - but I cannot be sure that one the spark is good enough to run the engine and two, it may actually not be there at the time of breakdown - but there when tested if you understand me.

So thats that - The other to consider on this is a fuel / vapour lock - building pressure over the time and that will cut the engine - The easiest way to test that is to test run it without the fuel filler cap - that will stop any build up as described -and if that is it , it wont cut out. You then have a tank / fuel system breather issue to investigate / cure - Too - the fuel return pipe should be checked for any blockages / kinks etc.

Other than the above - a blocking exhaust - catalytic converter would be a possibility too - Again, what happens here is, the cat especially if faulty will cause the engine to stall after a time - and then as the engine cools / time allows the blocked gasses to escape - and you can restart the engine - and away you go again - until the repeat cycle. It will be a "cycle" if this is the case.. Garages have what's called a Back pressure tester to test for that issue.

So those are the most likely causes of what you have here with your fault - things to work through - Let me know how you get on -

Let me know if you need anything more - IF you do reply - need anything more - I will always get back to you asap -

>> >> -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.