Mike
Mike, VW Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I HAVE A 2002 VW Passat Turbo Diesel. I has developed a strange

Customer Question

I HAVE A 2002 VW Passat Turbo Diesel. I has developed a strange hunting of the engine at low power on acceleration. If power and revs are applied it clears. There is no real loss of performance with this fault just the erratic pick up at low power. Any Ideas please ?
Category: Volkswagen
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help you with this..

Please tell me the mileage on the vehicle....

Too - exactly what has been done so far in a bid to ID the cause of the issue you have?

Too - what work has been done on the vehicle in the last 12 months or so ..?

Rgds, MIKE.............................................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Mike

Thanks for coming back. This fault has been with the Passat since I bought it about three years ago. It has never been a stopper and we have lived with it however it can be a bit worrying. Since I've had the car I personally have replaced :- front shock absorbers, both front drive shafts, all the brakes, the cam belt, accessory belt and tensioner and the sprag clutch in the alternator pully. This as well as servicing the vehicle regularly.

The car runs quietly and goes very well except for this fault. We have to tow our caravan soon so I though I would try your service to try to identify the problem before going to the VAG garage in Marmande. I realise it must be hard on the end of a computer line.

Me feeling is it has something to do with the turbo control system. Maybe wear or a leak causing low down low power instability.

The car has 235800 kms on it ( 147300 miles ) but it runs really well.

Your advice would be welcome, I'm sure someone has had this problem. I look forward to hearing from you. If you have a concern about the work done on the car, I was an aircraft engineer for 40 years.

If you need any more gen let me know .The engine code is a AWX.

Good luck

Les

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Mike

Just wondered if yo have received my message

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Mike at just answers

What ia happening please.

I have not yet received any answers, but I have received a questionnaire

requesting feedback on your service. Any chance of a response.

Les

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Les -

My apologies - I have been off today and missed your reply that came to me 15 hrs after I responded to your question ( which was 2 hours after you asked ) Quite why you have had a questionnaire as we are not even finished I don't really know - it must be a "system thing"..

So - as regards the issue you have with your Passat..

You mention you feel it may be something to do with the turbo control - Can I just ask again then -- Is there any excess smoke at all when you drive - espeically when the turbo comes in?

Too - do you feel the turbo come in as it should - ? ( circa 1800 rpm or so )

Also - on another tack - does the engine appear to hunt / misfire on tick over - until the revs are raised?

Kind Rgds, MIKE.................................

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Mike

In response to your questions.

The engine idles smoothly at all times.

I will check if the engine smokes.

Ref the turbo coming in. It appears to come in as it should but the engine hunts until it stabilises or one applies power at which time the hunting disappears.

I'll check the smoking issue but I feel it does smoke.

Les

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Les-

Thank you for your reply.

Given all that info that does help.... and I actually think your faults will be found with the swirl flap system ( in the inlet manifold )

Often you will get a fault light on for this but it can depend on how bad it is... so it needs further investigation with plug in diagnostic machine for this Im afraid. Im not talking fault codes - Im meaning Live Data testing , which is used to actuate the system ( and all the rest of the engine management system ) and that will show your fault up for you no problem.

You can check the basic things which Im sure you will have done but just in case, Im meaning the wiring / connections etc - and pipework - espeically vacuum pipes etc for any poor fitting / damaged / loose ones etc - any of which will cause such symptoms - but other than that its a deeper fault Les and you will need to do as above - That is then the best / quickest and cost effective way forward for you on this one given what you have described .

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mike

I took not e of your reply and examined the engine for loose pipes and joints.I also looke for the swirl frap system on the inlet manifold and the turbo which in some cases have these fitted.

I finaly removed the EGR valve having taked to a friend with experience of a similar problem. The valve was very heavily contaminated with carbon and gunge. I cleaned the valve of all the deposits and made sure all the moving parts were free.

Having refitted it the problems I had seem to have disapeared.

I'm not saying all is fixed but curently the engine no longer hesitates during pick up from stationary. If it does again start to play up I will go and see VW's