Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

when starting my mk 4 vw golf diesel if its been standing over

Customer Question

when starting my mk 4 vw golf diesel if its been standing over night or at work it has problems starting. when turning the key I can hear the pump working and the engine will almost fire up I will do this several times then it will go. I have put new glow plugs in but has not helped. thanks Paul
Category: Volkswagen
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 4 years ago.

Hello, welcome. My name is Mike, I will do my very best to
assist you with your question.

The issue that you are having is consistent with the fuel pump not holding pressure and bleeding down,even though you can hear the pump kicking on doesn't mean it is pumping at the correct pressure.What I would suggest as a first step is to have the fuel pressure checked to ensure the pump is putting out the correct pressure and holding it.