Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

How do I deactivate the annoying sound that I get when the

Customer Question

How do I deactivate the annoying sound that I get when the on board computer is telling me that the car needs a 10000k service when it has only done 2500k. I have a ten year old Golf Match (European}
Category: Volkswagen
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

If there are no other warning to accompany that warning and just the service reminder warning - then it possible the service interval wasnt reset or the service has been done too early before the 10,000miles when this usually shows up and thus now the service interval has come on..so it maybe worth trying this method below - this is for the 02-03 Golf and not a 1996..I do hope this helps.If you need to ask anything else before you rate then just continue..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That doesn't seem to work.

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there..

You mean the procedure or the image?

Is there any symbols actually on the dash board ie:- service wrench etc?

Was this service interval reset when it was service before and by what method?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. Yes

2. No just the beep and the message "Service Due Now" on the

dash computer display.

3. Service is every 10k the car has only done 2.5k since last service.

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there ..

Ok..little strange why that wont work as that the only procedure for these around that year to reset the service now message....As per holding the right trip button in / turn the ignition on / word service now appears or all lights on dash come on / release the trip button / turn the left button on dash to the right or clockwise to reset display / ignition off....Sometimes you may have to do this few times or repeat it to get it to actually reset..sometimes alot of service reseting procedures are like that..

Maybe try this below

- With the key out of the ignition find and press the odometer reset button (hold down)

- Turn the ignition on (warning lights come on) wait about 10-15 sec until most or thelights are off (still pressing odometer reset button)
- Turn ignition off (button still pressed) and remove the key
- Release reset button

If those above still fail to work then im afraid the next step going have to be diagnostically and try reseting it that way..usually vagcom software or any upto date diagnostic machine or reset tool..most local garages will have these or mobile techs.or the garage you had your service done.I do hope this helps further