David-VAG
David-VAG, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've been working on VW cars as part of my job doing repairs and diagnostics.
27984060

Hi I have a vw golf 2011, Im finding that when Im in gear

Customer Question

Hi I have a vw golf 2011, I'm finding that when I'm in gear and about to stop and I shift the gear into neutral, on the driver in formation screen it showing that it's picking a gear, usually a lower one, but I'm putting it into neutral
Category: Volkswagen
Expert:  David-VAG replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer

The display on the dash is worked out by the engine speed, engine load and road speed to show which gear you are in. Sometimes when changing gear it may misread that information briefly and expect you to change up or down a gear but you actually go in to neutral. There are no sensors on the gear selector itself.

I hope that this helps and if I can help further or you need more information on this please feel free to ask

Dave

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Could it be a sign that the clutch is going ? But it's driving fine and picking up speed properly
Expert:  David-VAG replied 4 years ago.

Hi if the clutch was going you will notice that the biting point of the clutch will be very high on the pedal. Also when you are in a higher gear and you put accelerate hard the engine speed will go up but the vehicle speed will not go up very quickly.

Has the issue with the gear selection always been like this or has it suddenly changed recently?

Dave