Mike
Mike, VW Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905
Volkswagen

Hi Im having problems starting my vw crafter 07.

Hi I'm having problems starting... Show More
Hi I'm having problems starting my vw crafter 07'. The problem is it won't accept the key. A yellow van sign appears with a key sign, which keeps flashing. I've left it parked up for a few weeks an now i can't take it anywhere because it doesn't start. It doesn't even let me take steering lock off or start ignition. I've asked some mechanics an they keep telling me different things. I've been told it can be ignition switch. Some say it's an electrical problem. I've had battery and fuse's checked an they seem fine. Also because the steering lock doesn't come off I've been told I'm gonna have problems getting it recovered to any mechanic. suggestion on that also.can anybody help.
Category: Volkswagen
Show Less
Shantal-Mod, Moderator
replied 3 years ago.

Customer reply replied 3 years ago.
I am willing to wait as long as I can correct advise from the right individual. As long as it doesn't take too long. Thanks
Shantal-Mod, Moderator replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?

Customer reply replied 3 years ago.
I would like to close the question. And does this mean you I would receive a full refund.
Mike, VW Technician
replied 3 years ago.
Hello - and Welcome..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im more than happy to help you with this ..

Im sorry to see you have had a wait on your question...

You can close your question - or I can help you from here if you do still need help...

Please just let me know and we can go from there...

Best Rgds, MIKE......................................
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.
If mike can answer my problem then yes I would like to continue, otherwise I would like to close the question and like a refund.
Mike, VW Technician replied 3 years ago.
Hello again -

This is MIKE - Thank you for your reply.

Indeed yes Im happy to help you -

Ok - can you please give me the vehicles full reg number ( and Vin as well if poss ).. then I can check exactly which systems it has -

Also - do you have a spare key - ? If so - is it the same with that ?

Just let me know by way of reply - when I receive your reply ( later / this eve ) I will get back to you -

Kind Rgds, MIKE..................................
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for the late reply been busy. Reg is ya07gzh. Don't have access to the vin at this moment in time as paper work and vehicle are at a separate property. Only have the one key as I only received one from the previous owner. Thanks Dave
Hello again -

Thank you thats fine / no problem at all...

Ok - I just needed the reg ( the reg will do ) to check which type of systems your van has - so thank you for that .

It would have been handy just to try with another key -- I'll tell you the problem... it could be either the key that has the fault by way of a faulty transponder..not telling the "system" to release on the van... or, a fault on the vehicle side of things - so just trying / using another key would have identified that quickly.

In that case - what you can do is visit a local Vw garage and ask them just to test your key for correct operation, they have equipment to do that ( as indeed do a lot of local garages - locksmiths and so on... )... So do that first - and then go from there.

If the key is proven faulty, you will have to have a new key - and have that programmed to the vehicle at a Vw garage - as this work is done with plug in diag equipment.... there is just no way round that - it would mean recovering the vehicle to them to have that done.

The next issue with these - and it is a common one, is that the Ei unit has failed / is faulty - that is indeed the electronic ignition unit.. in that , the key is ok - its sending the signal - but the unit is faulty / dead - and won't respond to the transmitter.

In that case, it has to be renewed - and then again - programmed to the vehicle / your keys for it to work - same story then as above - re having to get the vehicle to them.

Now - in that case, what they would do as a matter of course, is run a diagnostic test on the system ( which actually doesn't take long ) - but will just verify that the ignition unit is at fault - or if the fault happens to be elsewhere......but - I have to say, in any event , its going to be electronic unit fault - these are just quite simply, out of the scope of most garages - let alone Diy repair or test work - it has to have then Vw equipment on - to test or to program in new parts.

The only thing I would say to you Dave is - check where you can, the wiring on the vehicle- where you can see / do this yourself... Of course, verify that the actual vehicle battery is in top condition - a low static charge battery - can cause havoc with the "electroincs" on the vehicle...so do check that --- check the connections on the battery - follow the wiring - check for any chaffing / damage to the looms - which does happen... and check to , for bad connections, up to the ignition unit.

That really is in all honestly, all you can do on a diy basis - but its worth doing first - and then , if you can't find anything - the way forward is as above Dave with this now - starting with having your key checked out first - and then go from there.

Its never a "nice" situation this - your local garages etc are often faced with these issues -and have to send the vehicle on to the Vw dealers - as it has to have the equipment on it to test / program as outlined above - its just the way it is these days. More and more garages are investing in this type of equipment but its way of the scope of an owner to posses such...it just wouldn't be worth the cost.

So thats the way on this now Dave - Let me know how you go.

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

Please do click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
Hey mike managed to get the van diagnosed and it's showing up as a fault with the ignition switch. This was due to wires from the switch being worn out and rubbing. Causing the fault. What I wanted to know was if I got to fit in a new ignition switch, will it need reprogramming. If so can it be reprogrammed by a local mechanic as it will be more cost effective than going to the dealers. Thanks Dave