Mike, VW Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

I have a 2009 Golf with a standard radio. Yesterday the screen

I have a 2009 Golf with a standard radio.
Yesterday the screen went blank but the radio staions still work.
I used the manual to try and adjust ther backlight but this made no difference.
Can my problem be fixed?
Category: Volkswagen
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello John - Welcome ...

My name isXXXXX happy to help you...

I have to say John that inside the radio, the backighting is LED - and its not usually the Led's that fail -its usually a circuitry fault... and then you have this situation.

If you have the code for the radio - you can try disconnecting the power to the radio for 30 mins... then re connect , enter the code - and see if that cures it... sometimes it will do... its worth a try..

If not - then Im afraid it will need to be further investigated... but - before you go down the route of finding a repairer... have a word with your local dealer ( or any VW dealer - but if you bought the car new, its always best to try the supplying dealer first )... There have been odd failures with these units and some they will undertake a repair for its worth asking... and then go from there.. Let me know how you get on John.

IF not - there are radio repairer's that advertise on the net ( google etc ) that you can look up and use if you have no one locally...

All the best - MIKE.

Please do click on the "OK rating to Excellent ratings" service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I followed your advice and took it to the local VW service centre and they checked the electrics and diconnected the battery for about 40 minutes. No joy! We discussed buying a new VW unit or something different.

A day passed and I arranged to go and look at alternative radios. When I got in the car the existing radio worked perfectly.

So I have checked the box to say I am not really satisfied with your advice as it did not solve the problem.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

Hello again...

Thank you for your reply and I note your comments..

John - I really cannot understand your reasoning that led you to leave me a poor service reply.

The information I have you is as you have worked through - and I took you through step by step.

What has happened - as you have outlined it... is exactly as I have described for you ... The fact that the radio suddenly came on only goes to prove what Ive said John - the radio unit has as I said, an internal fault !

It may stay ok for a while - months - or years - or it may fail again tomorrow ! It is evidently faulty - exactly as I outlined to you.

If you re read what I have read you will see that ... Im not clairvoyant John - I couldn't say it would come on again - or how long that situation will last... Again - in line with the answer I gave you ... It is evidently faulty..and you will if it doesn't keep going, end up having to do as I have said.. I cannot account for that or be held responsible for that - it is only as I said in the very first place.

Perhaps you have misread what I said, that would explain your stance , a misunderstanding - it happens.. Its all I can think of..

I would therefore appreciate your changing your rating to at least the OK rating for me... for which I thank you on advance..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Mike, VW Technician
Experience: Tech Expert