Mike, VW Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

hi there, we have recently purchased a vw t4 1999 which has

Customer Question

hi there, we have recently purchased a vw t4 1999 which has a 1996 vw golf 1.9td engine in her, she starts and runs fine from cold for about a mille then the revs drop and goes into limp mode before dying. she will restart ok the die again after about 100yrds. can you please help. many thanks
Category: Volkswagen
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome ..

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help / advise..

Before we progress - please tell me exactly what you have done / tried already in a bid to cure this problem..

Also - what its the mileage on the car?

Too - when driving - do you get any fault lights come on at all?

Rgds, MIKE......................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi mike havnt really tried anything, havnt a clue where to start on this one. only thing we have had done is an oil and filter change and also the gear box oil last weekend, but this problem had occurred a couple of times b4 this. only had the van a couple of months, but it is now considerably worse to the point where i cant really drive her, she has a 1.9td engine from a golf, millage of this engine is approx 120,000. no warning lights come on at all she just dies. Have got a mechanic friend who is an mot inspector but he hasnt got a clue, so we are stuck really. need an experts advice. many thanks sean

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Helo again Sean -

My apologies I just missed your reply last eve..

Ok - I see you have replaced the engine oil and filter..and gearbox oil..and its still the fact worse..

I need to know now Sean what , if any, other parts - and and all, that have been replaced in a bid to cure this.....??

Rgds, MIKE...................................

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mike the only other thing we have done is had the glow plugs changed end of jan. many thanks sean
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello there Sean -

Thank you for your reply.

Ok - well glow plugs wont cause these symptoms... but what will is a clogging fuel filter.

VW changed in fact , halved the fuel filter service replacement schedule on these for just these types of problems..

So as there has been no mention of that - have a new fuel filter fitted Sean -and see if that cures it - I suspect it will.

It would be a good time to check the likes of the air filter ( general service items as well )..even a clogging air filter can cause this as it chokes the engine and strangles it off air.

Other possibilities are a faulty air flow meter - or a clogged exhaust ... but go with the fuel filter first. Let me know how you go.

Do let me know if you need anything else at all -

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

...Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.