Mike
Mike, VW Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Hi,my golf gti 1.8 turbo 1999 starts and drives perfectly when

Customer Question

Hi,my golf gti 1.8 turbo 1999 starts and drives perfectly when i go to and return from work and its stood and not in use in between, but if want i want to drive it after it's been stood maybe 2/3 hrs it will not start until i wait a while or boost the battery then it starts and drives normally again..I've had the battery and alternator checked out and no problem there, this as happened 5/6 times over the last 6months ...but i work around it by only using the car for work or only journeys where i wont be stood to long,,,,,and always carry a booster unit with me which as got me going again when i,ve had to use it.......also this morning for the first time the engine cut out whilst i was driving home and i had to use the booster to get me going again.....
Category: Volkswagen
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No i have not solved the problem yet and i am willing to wait for your answer

Barry

Hello Barry,

Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok,

Thankyou

Barry

Hello Barry,

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I would like you to continue as money as been taken out of my account for this service ........are you confident of finding a professional to assist me or am i wasting my time and money.......what is the problem with finding a professional to assist me

yours

Barry

Hello Barry,

Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can return your good faith deposit to the original funding source.

Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

MY name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help you ..

I need to know - when it wont start - at those times... exactly what does happen? ie - does the engine turn over / crank too slow - hence you use the booster? Is that the issue?

Too - what exactly has been tried / tested - ? and what if any, parts have been replaced in a bid to cure this?

Also - what mileage is on the car ? And what is its service /recent repair history?

Rgds, MIKE............................................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike

if i drove it now at this moment it would start and drive perfectly and i could stop at the shops for maybe up to an hour and it would start and drive again no problem but if i was to stay a bit longer say maybe 2 hours or more it would crank fine but just wont catch at this point if i boost the battery it starts and drives normally again but i'm not sure if its the booster that helps or the fact that its been 10/15 mins before i have tried to restart as on one occasion the booster made no difference and i phoned the AA but after waiting 20 mins i decided to try start it again without the booster and it fired up perfectly.. the recurring theme seems to be if i only use it for driving to and from work there's no problem as it's been stood more than 8 hours in between........but if i make other journeys as well that's when there could be a problem...140000 miles on the car not had a full service recently apart from mot work recent repair for new brake discs last year i did have my central locking system repaired as the alarm would go off and the doors would lock while driving but cannot remember if this was before or after my starting problem...the only things i have had tested are the battery and alternator ...but no problem there..no parts replaced...

Barry

in addition to this on my way to work tonight after 10 mins driving the engine cut out all the electrics stayed on and a warning to stop came on and icon for oil after checking oil i had to boost the battery and the car started and drove as normal with no further warning signs...
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Barry -

Thank you for your reply and further info... and added current info which is very helpful.

I take it the oil level was ok Barry - for you to have these symptoms... I asked the questions I did to rule certain issues out - and now - with this happening tonight on your way to work, shows the situation is worsening... and I believe this will be found to be a faulty ignition switch... This is a known issue on these - so it has to be borne in mind...not least because it fits your symptoms right the way through - inc tonight.. If the ign "Loses" contact inside ( this is the electrical section on the end of the ignition barrel ) - then you will lose contact / power to the LT side of the ignition ( coil etc ) and hence, you get what you have. Too - this fits with the odd non start situations - they dont make contact ( unbeknown to you ) - it just cranks - and not starts ( sometimes they dont even crank ) - and then it will from time to time - completely throwing you.

Given you say you have had the battery and alternator tested - we can rule those out - Other than wiring problems - such as bad connections especially on the main earth circuit - ( where the cable comes from the battery to the body - and then between the body and transmission -- check those )... other than those, this is looking like the actual ignition problem experienced buy many others.

So again - check the wiring Barry as above - and check the integrity of the fuses / relays etc - you know, the general stuff that can cause such odd issues - but if all else is ruled out, its certainly looking ignition. This can be verified at the time it plays up but you would of course need a test meter ready at the time.... So you can go for that - or, wait , it will get worse until such a time as it wont ever start - and of course its always much easier to determine then - but thats the way forward on this one to get this sorted Barry from what you have described.

Let me know if you need anything else-

..>> .Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE
Mike, VW Technician
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike

I decided to take a chance and replace the ignition switch,which was ok for 3 journeys, but this morning the engine cut out while driving again...then would crank but not start till i used the battery booster...any idea ??

Barry