Mike, VW Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

my 1.4 Lupo was left stored for 6 weeks (battery disconnected,

my 1.4 Lupo was left stored for 6 weeks (battery disconnected, and was fine on return), but battery now discharges completely over 2 days of none use. The secondary red terminal on the battery shows a permanent discharge. What could be the cause?
Category: Volkswagen
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help you ...

Can I just ask / check with you that the battery has been properly / pro tested with pro equipment to be 100 % sure of its condition...?.,.. because this is the usual fault ---

Rgds, MIKE......................................

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Mike, yes the battery has been checked by ATS in bridport. rgds Peter

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Peter -

Thank you for your reply and info..

Ok - assuming that the battery is indeed ok - then you must have a parasitic drain causing this..

Such can be hard to find to be perfectly honest with you - It usually is a sticking relay... a faulty "computer" - module...and so on.. It can then even be something simple such as a boot light staying on ( unbeknown to you ) because of a faulty switch etc..

What we suggest in these circumstances is to go down the easy route first - so remove the bulb from the boot ( and glove box if fitted ) and see if the drain goes off... if it does- you have a faulty circuit switch on whichever is causing it of the two.

If its not that - then unplug the alternator fully- as that if it has faulty diodes will cause this - and re check.

If its not that - then you are now into possible relays / computers - and even the radio system as a suspect. The latter is quite common.. but at this stage, you are going to need to go down the proper route to find such a drain and that is to use an amp meter in the battery circuit - and then remove each fuse, one at a time - while checking the meter to see which one causes the drain to die away - at which point - you have your faulty circuit... then you need to ID whats on that given circuit - and then isolate the individual equipments to find the exact cause of the fault...

So thats the way forward on this Peter... Im sorry there is not a "it will be this or that " answer to this one - I have gone through it in the easiest way first for you -- thats the way to work through it to get this sorted for you now....

Let me know if you need anything else at all -

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

...>> >> > Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.

Mike, VW Technician
Experience: Tech Expert