Mike, VW Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

I have a VW Transporter minibus 2.5TDI 07 reg which either

I have a VW Transporter minibus 2.5TDI 07 reg which either runs perfectly albeit for few minutes or as now seems to lose one cylinder completely diagnostic shows fault on no 4 cyl so took badly carboned injector bosch ********** to reputable repairer for clean & test which also required new seal fitting. Injector was refitted together with new wiring loom unfortunately same result engine ran perfectly until further rev of engine seemed to cut one cyl completely
Category: Volkswagen
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is***** happy to help / advise you -

I note what you have done already... have you done a fault code read?? If so - what codes do you have??

Too - what mileage does it have - and please give me it Full reg so I can accurately see what management system it has..

Rgds, MIKE......................................

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike,

The only fault code mentioned by my garage they say relates to an injector problem I will ask for more specific details and pass them on however it may be worth mentioning that the DPF was removed at 200k and the ECU remapped,the vehicle has done 320k but when without this intermittent fault performance is excellent,2 weeks ago it was MOTd without comment on emissions,the reg is MTO7DLZ PS I have been told to check the tandem fuel pump for a spring failure on the fuel delivery side.

Regards Keith (Keithstravel Service)

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Keith -

Thank you for your reply and info..

The removal of the DPF wont be causing this Keith - Certainly a faulty injector would and that is actually more likely ( it can happen, even with new ones --- )

I note you have replaced the injector loom - that was a good move.. but check the pin connectors for that loom Keith - sometimes we see them corrode ( on the loom ) and others, the pins push back into the socket and so don't connect properly - so just check on that -

Other than that - if its proven not an injector fault - then you need to be checking the main loom back up to the Ecu Keith.

Its possible you may have a mechanical issue to - with the valves on that cylinder - a compression test would be a good idea - both cold and hot... when it has the troubles... a leaky valve will cause the cylinder not to work - and a knock on injector code.

So working through as above Im sure you will find this issue Keith - if all else fails - an Ecu test would be needed - as the drivers for the injectors are in the Ecu......

Before much else though - that specific injector needs checking again - and even substituting - to rule it out / or in....

Im very pleased to have helped you -let me know if you need anything more -

** **>>Meantime -- - - >> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Mike, VW Technician
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi again Mike,

thanks for your input,further information from the garage who have only briefly looked at the problem today due to staff shortages is that there is inadequate/fluctuating voltage on cyls 2,5 & occasionally 4 being delivered to these injectors by the ECU. and when feeding this information to an android app the result points to ECU/mapping fault.

Regards Keith

PS this is my interpretation of what I have been told