Mike, VW Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

Hi, I have a 2008 2L Golf TDI GT. It has done 65,000 miles.

Hi, I have a 2008 2L Golf TDI GT. It has done 65,000 miles. It has now 'blown' x 2 Turbo's and no one seems able to figure out why. Prior to this, for several weeks the 'check coolant' light flashed periodically and I topped it up several times. The coolant was not 'empty' but was either just below minimum, or half way between max and min. It later transpired that there was water in the oil (I think). On checking the oil it had 'white' blobs in it. Also for a couple of weeks before the first turbo went (as I was on the way to the garage re the 'check coolant' light,) there had been a whining sound from the engine when I accelerated. Half way to the garage clouds of white smoke started billowing out of the back so I stopped and called the breakdown van. The turbo was replaced with a new one and also a new cam belt (as it was due at 70,000 miles) and I think a new (water pump?) All seemed fine, I drove approx 55/58 miles then the 'check coolant' light flashed again. It was just below maximum so I didn't top it up. Drove about 4 miles and white smoke billowing out of the back again. The new turbo had gone! The whining noise had come back for about the last 30/35 miles before this happened. The garage are now thinking that the second turbo was faulty, but still not sure what is causing the 'check coolant' light to flash. Can you help please?
Thanks, Lynne.
Category: Volkswagen
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise you with this..

Its very unlikely that the 2nd turbo was faulty any more than the first... If you have this ongoing water / coolant loss issue -and its getting into the oil -then its this thats destroying the turbos- They need to be dealing with this side of things first.. If they send the turbo back to the suppliers, Im confident after testing , they will say the same - and that will confirm what Im saying.

To explain, turbos run at a very high speed and extremely high temperatures- to stop then failings they need a good supply of good quality engine oil running through them all the time - oil contaminated with coolant will destroy a turbo in no time..

So they need to concentrate on the cooling system issue - Its evidently losing water -and thats going into the engine / oil... that reason has to be found. usual causes of this are a failing head gasket or faulty / porous cylinder head. Another cause of this though can be a faulty oil cooler -for the turbo. These things need proper checking and the fault will be found - once thats cured, you will then stop losing coolant -and the turbo will be fine.

Im very pleased to have helped you -Let me know if you need anything more-

** ** >>Meantime -- - - >> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Mike, VW Technician
Experience: Tech Expert