Greg Szczygiel
Greg Szczygiel, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Vehicle technician and electrician currently working in reputable independent garage in UK. Fully acredited ATA diagnostic technician.
82566532

2002 beetle just failed MOT as electronic stability program

Customer Question

2002 beetle just failed MOT as electronic stability program light (yellow exclaimation mark in triangle in a circular arrow pointing to the left) on dashboard not illuminating, when ignition is switched on. Why is this? Have checked all fuses OK, although no symbol on the card. ESP switch by hazard lights does nothing, doesn't even click when pressed!
Help please....
Category: Volkswagen
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I do not have an answer yet, please continue to find me an expert to advise.

thanks.

,
Thank you back to me and apologies that you have not received an answer yet. We have a range of Professionals online all the time. However specialties differ, and we are searching right professional to assist you.
Should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
Thank you patience,
,
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish to continue to search to assist you or would you
like to close your question at this time?
Thank you patience,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Please cancel question and reverse charges.

Expert:  Greg Szczygiel replied 2 years ago.
,
When the ignition is turned ON and all lights come on, does the ABS light come on too ? Does the ABS light turn off after few secondes ?
Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

All lights function correctly, apart from the ESP triangle.

Thanks,
In this situation we can suspect faulty ESP control light in instrument panel, faulty button, wiring fault, ABS module or instrument cluster.
The following action should be taken to diagnose the issue:
Vehicle must be plugged in to diagnostic equipment with capability of functional test of instrument panel, most of decent garages should be equipped in one.
During functional test, scan tool will force instrument cluster to activate ESP light, if it will come on it means the dash is OK.
If the light will not activate some wiring checks will have to be done between ABS control module and instrument cluster.
Gray/black wire must be checked, it supplies the power from ABS to the ESP light.
ESP button needs replacing as it looks like it's stuck.
I suggest to replace ESP switch anyway.
I hope it helps you to locate the fault, unfortunately there is no direct answer to problem like this.
I'm happy to assist you further.
Greg