Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK

Hope you can help,i have a Passat 1.9 tdi(###) ###-####Well

Customer Question

hi hope you can help,i have a Passat 1.9 tdi(###) ###-####Well I have noticed a engine symbol on the dashboard any idea what it is telling me or what I should be looking out for.
Category: Volkswagen
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

The engine warning warning light is basically an engine management issue or it means that either a engine sensor has developed a fault and tus this logs a fault code in the ecu or ecu control component on the engine is at fault.sometimes egr system/intake turbo wastegate,vacuum system issues/mass airflow can be quite common for causing this,so ideally those could be checked...when the light stays on its means the cars ecu has stored fault codes..and should give a better insight or idea where to start making normally the best advice from here id say would be to have the car scanned on a proper diagnostic vag .com. software prefered,that is the first step any garage would do..and see what fault codes are being stored..once you have those then your in a much better position knowing whats needs to be checked or replaced even..I do hope this helps