Mike, VW Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

Hope you can help. We are experiencing intermittent alarm

Hi - Hope you can help. We are experiencing intermittent alarm activations with our VW Golf 1.9tdi it's an 07 reg. Fault consists of - it activates & it's not possible to reset it until it goes off of it's own accord, then it will go off again for no obvious reason. Need to know if it's possible to actually switch it off when it goes off?? Inserting key in the ignition has solved it occasionally but not always?? Checked the hand book but it's useless as there's no chapter with an alarm fault finding section.
Category: Volkswagen
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome -
My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help you ..
Im sorry to see you have had a wait - this is very unusual but can happen...
Please let me know if you do still need help with this - if so, we can carry on..
If you do - please let me know what you have done meantime - where you are up to..
Best Rgds, MIKE..........................
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, As far as I know having paid my fee, I've not had a technical reply as yet!!?? Plenty of sales type msgs re sorry for delays etc. but they are of no use to me, all I need is a reply which either can give me a good idea of what's causing the fault on our car, or please state if you can't fulfil the request, in which case I would expect a refund of my fee.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello again..

Thank you for your reply.

This is MIKE , I am a technician who replied to you above...asking if you still needed help in view of the wait .. I'm sorry you had a wait - to explain... any tech can answer you - I wasn't personally on till a couple of days after you asked your question and apparently no one else had answered / helped you ...So seeing the question in the 'live' list , I answered / responded rather, as above as soon as possible to me. Meantime yes, you would have system messages etc.
I hope that helps explain a little.

Ok so your VW alarm... this is a common issue with this model and it tends to be that either, the bonnet switch for the alarm, or the boot / tailgate switch is faulty.. It can of course be other things, such as one of the door switches on the circuit, a fault with the interior sensors if fitted on your model -or a internal fault with the control box....but these latter things are rare.

So, the first thing to do is check, or have checked, the bonnet switch - check its not actually broken ( sometimes they do ) check the position of it is correct...not fallen out of place ( its on the mechanism to lock the bonnet )...and check the wiring to it for damage / corrosion etc. If no faults found, you then check the same with the tailgate switch...

Also if needed still, check the wires that come from the car body to the doors - peel back the tubing - check for chaffed wires that will cause this. Do the same with the wires that supply the tailgate- at the roof / hinge areas.

What you can do is disconnect the wire to each of these switches and tape up the wire on a temp basis and see if this cures the issue..obviously one at a time, to determine the cause .... Then if position / wiring etc as above is all ok, renew the relevant switch - The switches do go faulty inside - renewal is the only answer then.

I mentioned the ultrasonics in the car earlier too - if you have these on your model. What you can do to see if theses are causing the alarm to go off is securely place some insulation tape over them.. blocking their signals. If the alarm stops sounding off falsely, then one of these sensors at fault needing to be renewed. A plug in diagnostic test at a suitably equipped garage would be needed as they are electronic to determine which one. As to that would be needed if after going through the above you don't find / cure the fault ... the system being fully electronic. You couldmanually go on to check the door switches / wiring etc but that is extremely time consuming espeically on a 5 door model - if it comes to that , I would at that point recommend a plug in test as that will quickly ID the area of fault.

So thats the best / cost effective to work forward / through to find your fault and cure this for you one way or the other.

Let me know if you need anything else at all.. If you do get back to me, I will get back to you asap thereafter. I will be on later if you do need anything.

>>> Meantime , please do now at this point, click on the "Excellent ratings" for me... I really appreciate that , Thank you....

Kind Rgds, MIKE.
Mike, VW Technician
Experience: Tech Expert