Mike, VW Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

I have a 2002 VW PASSAT TDI. All doors unlock electronically

I have a 2002 VW PASSAT TDI. All doors unlock electronically except the rear nearside door. I have tried many suggested solutions without success. Can you help please.
Category: Volkswagen
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome..

Before we progress - please tell me exactly what the " many suggested solutions" are that you have tried already -

Rgds, MIKE.....................................

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Apart from the one already given, poking a wire through the door handle, both the outside and inside door handles pull ok but electronically the button stays down whilst all the others pop up/down when locked/unlocked. Difficult to be more precise about attempts as these all involved continual trying of the locks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
We have now been waiting much longer than the promised 15 minutes. Please open the question to other mechanics if Mike is not available. Otherwise give us some idea how much longer we might have to wait.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We are still awaiting a response. We were promised that we would be kept informed but have had no word from anyone, let alone some advice as to how to resolve our problem. If we do not hear anything back from you by the end of today we will seek to resolve in Paypal. Thanks and hope to hear.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Will -
Im sorry I missed your reply yesterday - your response to my req for more info..
To explain - before I got back to you , you put your question as a re list.. Im afraid that took it from me and caused a long delay.. you were not likely to know that but Im afraid thats how the system works.. I have just come across your question again now... Im sorry about that but please dont do a re list again, it will cause a major delay - I will always get back to you until we are done as needed..
Back to the issue you have with the door lock - there are two things that can cause this on this model - either a break / issue with the wiring to the door lock on that door - or a a mechanical issue with the lock itself - basically broken physically inside, or jammed.
The first thing to do Will is to open the door in question... Once opened the wiring to the door - from the car body where they often cause issues, can be checked.
If you cannot get the door open at all- you then have two ways forward - One is to remove the inner door panel - to access the inside of the door.. then you can manually operate the lock to open the door - then to deal with the tracing of the problem as above.. The other way is to have a garage / locksmith or breakdown company / recovery service - who have "lockout kits" open that door for you with a special tool / kit as above.. Once the door is opened, again, you can deal with fault finding it.
Its unlikely you have the equipment to open the door , as above, so I have to suggest that you will need garage etc help to at least get the door open for you..
Going back, you can remove the inner panel.. Its awkward because the door is shut - the only tip there is to remove the bench part of the seat - and move the front seat forwards - this gives you increased access to remove the panel...
Once inside the door - again - manually trigger the latch to unlock it / open it - thats easier then to locate the fault as above.
First check the wires going through the tube to the door - and in the door to check for chaffing / breaks.. If its not that - you then need to physically inspect the lock / mechanism to find the fault. If its not a wiring fault - then usually the lock mech has to be replaced.. but again - you will determine that as you progress..
Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..
-- Please do do the rating for me Will at this time.. - Thank you in advance for that - ... Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating should you need more at all - it doesn't close you out --
Best Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks Mike and sorry about re-listing. I didn't understand the system and will not do it again. Unfortunately, although I gave my email address that I use all the time i.e. ***@******.*** the email I keep only for paypal was used instead because I paid by Paypal. I will proceed as you have suggested and see where it goes, in the hope that I can contact you as I go along if I need a little more info. I will, of course, rate you highly. Kind regards ***** ***** thanks

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi there Will - - Thank you for your reply.

Dont worry at all about the system listing things its not a problem -

- To keep in touch / if you need more help you just need to come back to the open question - in this case, this one and I will always get your reply. --

As regards ***** ***** address thats fine too - no worries as they say.

I would personally appreciate it if you could see your way to clicking on the Exc / Ok ratings for me at this point Will... that way I get my credit (sometimes they get forgotten).. and as I mentioned above, doing the rating now does not close you out regardless of what the system says - you can get back to me on this if needed anytime at all just by coming back to this post..

Too , once you do the rating you will get an email with a direct link back. So thank you again.. All the best with the task in hand...

Kind Rgds , MIKE.

Nb - As well as the rating - if you could take a moment to leave a little Pos feedback on the link provided - that'd be great - Thank you again Will .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Please don't worry I will not forget to rate you and give feedback but I am just stuck at the moment. I have the panel off the door, finally, but I still cannot unlock the door. Do I need to take the metal panel off too.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Will..
Sorry I wasnt available yesterday Pm..
Yes you will need to take the metal panel off to get full access to the lock..
Keep me in touch,..
Rgds, MIKE...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry Mike, we did not pick this up until today. If you could just give us a tip as to how to remove this, we have tried and are finding it difficult. Any help you can give would be much appreciated, then once we have the metal panel off we will rate and finish. Just too nervous to let go until we at least get the panel off. Sorry to be a pain.

Regards Will

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi again Will -
No problem at all....
To remove the inner/ metal panel -
I imagine you are having trouble getting the metal panel off -after having removed all the 10mm screws around it.. if you haven't removed those screws -do so.
Then remove the rubber grommets where the wires all go through - inc where the door lock (inner ) comes up through - basically release everything - release the wires.
Then you usually find the window winder mechanism is holding things up - release that by removing the Torx screws - takes them away - the motor will be released off the panel then releasing the panel -
At the top half of the metal panel you will see two rather large rubber grommets - pull them out - this will reveal the fixing that connects the window runner to the glass.. First be sure to secure / hold the glass - remove / disc the fixings to it - and then the panel should come away.. secure the glass / take it out to be safe..
From there Will, you should be ok to further investigate the issue you have.. These VW's are all the same - a lot of work / a pain when it comes to the doors..
I hope Ive covered all you need but again just ask me if you need anything.
Best Rgds Will, MIKE.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry Mike that we have not responded because we have not been home much, and been driving around with the outer panel off out of necessity. Now we will have a go as you suggested. The problem of not picking up your mails is because, as I said, I did ask to have my email address changed to***@******.*** but this request seems to have been ignored. If you could contact me on this email address I would reply. In the meantime we will follow your instructions, not tomorrow though as it is my birthday. As soon as I can start work again I will let you know how I get on and rest assured will give you feedback/rating. Thanks Will

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hello again Will - Thank you for your message..

Thats all fine so long as you are ok.

We are not allowed to use / make contact direct with emails Will, we have to stay on the system here - just how the rules are.

I will however send your email to customer services manually for you - see if that helps.

That said, I am getting your replies so I don't think there is a problem this end.

You will be getting continual system messages though as you have not done the OK ratings yet Will - thats what that will be I imagine..

All the best with it Will anyway- Best Rgds, MIKE.

Mike, VW Technician
Experience: Tech Expert