Mike, VW Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

Why does my new Golf DSG stop-start jerk when I start again

Why does my new Golf DSG 1.4 150bhp stop-start jerk when I start again even just pressing the gas pedal very lightly, engine restarts and car jerks forward?

Category: Volkswagen
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have not got a answer elseware and would like to know the cause of the very jerky start, could the ecu need remapping?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes please try to find a reason for the fault.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome..
My name is ***** ***** I have been asked to help you with your question.. Sorry to see you have had a wait.
I have read your question through - but could you give me more specific detail please...
Plus - does it do this in every gear ? say - setting off in 2nd - ?
What mileage does the car have ??
What is its service history like?
What exactly did the garage have to say / whats been done / checked / tested etc? Any electronic tests done?
Any fault lights on the dash?
What type of garage has looked at it - ? Dealer etc?
Last - please give me the cars Full reg number and VIN -
Sorry for all the questions - but if you can let me know on all those - plus anything else you think may be helpful -
When I receive your reply - I will get back to you asap and we can carry on from there-
Best Rgds, MIKE...............
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mike

The car has a DSG gearbox so always starts in 1st gear.

The mileage is 1,489 miles

Not had first service yet

The garage said that they could not adjust it so no electronic tests. No fault lights on dash.

looked at at main VW dealers

I will be working away till Friday 31st and will reply to your findings then, the

family will not understand so they will not reply before then.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When will I receive an answer to my query. It has been along time since I answered your follow-up questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
When will I get an answer?
I have waited for 5 weeks and still no answer to
my problem.
Will I get my £42 back if no answer is given?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello again..
This is MIKE.. who answered you at the start -
I tell you what happened - I saw that you said you would not be back till the 31st - and when I then came back to you I couldn't reply at all - as the question was closed. I don't know why that was - but thats why I couldn't get to you. I didnt see your next follow up on the 6th Im afraid -
So here we are now - I just wanted to let you know Im with you again now - and I will re check what I have on this and get back to you asap.
Best Rgds. MIKE.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The mileage is now 2,000. I went to the garage, a vw main dealer and they put it onto the test equipment and said that there was nothing wrong with the settings. They did a test drive and it was jerky but fobbed me off with that it was ok. I have driven automatics before and never had this problem. My wife says that I will break her neck if this continues. What can I do?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi again.. Im sorry I dont have your name.The juddering you describe is not unheard of - by any means.. Your problem seems to be convincing the dealer. I suspect you may have to insist that they request a Tech visit to your car by an engineer from VW UK - they will do that if you insist. Too - another option, is to take it to a different dealer -first.. they are all different and you may get a better response.. especially if they think they will get you as a regular customer from therein..The juddering comes about for different reasons - these have a double clutch system , quite different from "normal" arrangements and the usual / common fault was with these.. It means a replacement usually - and that is / would be at their expense..which will be why they are holding out on you - you really are going to have to do as above on this.Vw did do a global recall on these for ongoing faults / problems with the DSG units - initially this was to change the type of oil in them as it was causing problems - though being yours is a 14 reg, it shouldn't be affected / caused by that issue. Too - it may be worth you knowing - at least for future ref, that they introduced an extended 10 warranty on the DSG units - because of on going troubles.So quite what is at the bottom / root cause of your individual issue is hard to say from here -but its evidently not right from what you say - so I suggest you do as above. I would try the different dealer avenue first - but thats up to you -- it does sometimes though yield good results.. but the option of calling in VW Uk is the best avenue if you are not getting anywhere... and they will take it seriously and get it sorted for you...... I hope that all helps you ..Just a point - Im not at all sure whats going on now but I note you have given me a negative rating.. this only does me harm and I have explained what has happened-- it really has not been my fault.I would appreciate it if you could see your way to change the rating to at least an OK rating for me at this time.. Thank you again, and you can still get back to me anytime should you need / wish.Best Rgds, MIKE.
Mike, VW Technician
Experience: Tech Expert