Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

I have a 2009 t5 tdi 2.5 van with a starting problem. have

Customer Question

I have a 2009 t5 tdi 2.5 van with a starting problem. have taken pipe off fuel tank and turned key and very little feul comes out. should I be getting a constant flow, and does a relay control the pump
Category: Volkswagen
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** am a diagnostic technician and look forward to working with you. Sorry for the delay in getting to your question, If there is not a good supply of fuel from the in tank lift pump there will be a fault with the pump. This sounds like the feed pipe may have split or the pump motor is failing. The in take pump consists of a sump, pump motor and top cover, there is a corrugated flexi pipe that runs from the pump motor to the pump lid, these tend to go brittle and crack allowing the fuel to return back to the tank rather than pump to the engine, If this is the case the pipe can be replaced on it's own. If the pipe appears to be OK, the fuel pump will be the suspect and should be replaced.Both cracked pipes and failed fuel pumps are fairly common on these. The fuel pump is controlled via a relay, this would not be suspected if the pump clearly runs (audible) As you say there is a small amount of fuel being supplied from the pump it sounds like the relay is working OK and running the pump but the fuel is not being supplied to the outlet pipe.
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Please feel free to ask if you have any further questions, if your happy with my answer please don't forget to provide a rating, thanks, Ross.