Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

06 Reg VW Polo 1.4 BUD Engine Car was being driven at 70mph,

Customer Question

06 Reg VW Polo 1.4 BUD Engine
Car was being driven at 70mph, vibration felt through accelerator pedal - 2-3 seconds of smoke from exhaust (seen in rear view mirror so not sure if white or blue), oil warning light came on, engine warning light came on.
After stopping and switching off, when restarted oil light stays off, engine light was initially off but came on after a couple of minutes, no obvious smoke from exhaust. OBD reader gives only fault code P0301 cylinder 1 misfire. OBD reader (torque app) sensor scan comes back all ok except for TID:$04 CID:$09.
No obvious loss of coolant or oil, no sign of oil in coolant or coolant in oil.
Serviced and timing belt replaced beginning of Dec and used regularly since.
What is the best way forward to find the cause of the misfire?
Category: Volkswagen
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OBD sensor readout is TID:$04 CID:$09 High sensor voltage for switch time calculationTest incomplete or dependant test failed
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 9 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.
Hello to get a load of smoke then its either unburnt fuel or a glug of oil coming throughThe first thing I'd check is the crankcase pressure relief valve (PCV) these are sprung loaded and are only meant to 'burp' excess pressure every now and then. The exiting gas is piped back to the inlet, however should the valve stick open then the engine tends to suck the air out of the crankcase all the time and this carries oil over with it. If you remove the air intake pipe and look inside where the crankcase breather is plumbed in you may find evidence of oil. If you do find oil replace the valve. If this is all OK then its possible that the valve stem seals are past their best and are drip-feeding oil into the intake. These can be replaced without removing the head by a competent garage in half a day or so if its unburnt fuel do to a misifre then these are quite difficult to solve so 1st replace the spark plugs if any of them fail this checklist: You can also try spraying some water on the coil pack with the engine running. It is possible the coil is faulty and causing the misfire. If you see sparks arcing with the water, then replace the coil.I'd check the condition of the injector plugs / connections as this could be a lean misfire if an injector isn't firing properly - the best way to check this is with a 'noid' light Then check all the connections to the engine sensors one at a time, remove each one and examine for signs of corrosion or damage and a squirt of contact cleaner ( not WD40) will also help.
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you