Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

While moving off from the drive this morning a loud bang came

Customer Question

while moving off from the drive this morning a loud bang came from the car, while still able to drive vehicle still makes the occasional thumping noise
Category: Volkswagen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello I'd 1st do a check for worn mountings - check the tightness of the engine and gearbox mounts and their condition - this is best done by using a jack to take the weight of the engine off the mounts and seeing if any cracks or splits open up in the rubber.Also check the tightness of the mounts boltsalso check for any slack in the suspension- jack the car up so the wheel is off the ground (you’ll need to do this for all 4 corners) and shake the tyre from top to bottom and from side to side (with someone holding the steering wheel on the front) there should be no play in either direction. Any play in 1 direction will usually require a joint to be replaced, if there’s play in both directions then the wheel bearing may be at fault. If theres play only up and down its the strut top mount - to find this one you have to shake the suspension strut it self up and down with the wheel off the ground - so you may need to remove the wheel to check this one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I asked for assistance and paid for it on friday night, and had no reply by Sunday night, even though it states a reply within 24hrs I consulted my local mechanic for his advice, therefore I would appreciate it if my payment was refunded.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
understood you have toe request the refund yourself http://ww2.justanswer.co.uk/en-gb/help/how-can-i-request-refund