Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Glow plug light only stays on for 2sec engine starts ok if

Customer Question

Glow plug light only stays on for 2sec engine starts ok if is weather warm but slow to if cold
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Volkswagen
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 month ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

I'd check that you're getting full power to the glow-plugs, they pull a lot of current so take care when checking but see if the relay is clicking when the ignition is turned on first and also check the fuse if this is OK check to see if the engine earth strap is also OK.

If the plugs haven't been changed in the last 20K then they may have to be replaced.

You can test the glow-plugs with a multimeter by measuring the resistance across the plug ( between the power connection and the body) it should be around 4-8ohms if its tending to infinity / open circuit the plug is faulty or by using a clip on current clamp, either on the supply wire to glow plugs or onto engine earth, with glow plug light on you should see 15-20amps for each glow plug fitted, 4 cylinders would be approximately 60-80amps.

Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can u give me the VW part no for glow plug relay for my 1997 2.5Tdi transporter thanks john
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

It should be###-##-####

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Matt my transporter has relay no 357-911-253 is this why the glow light only stays on for 2sec
The eng no is ACV054147 cas no WW1ZZZ70ZVH113711 help !
Witich one is right
John
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

OK thats a pattern part but its the correct spec so lets assume its OK

In which case I'd move onto checking the resistance of all of the glow plugs as the next step

it’s also worth considering fitting a new fuel filter as if only slightly blocked this can lower fuel supply pressure and choke the main pump, the pump will be more sensitive to this when its cold as diesel thickens considerably with low temperatures.

Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

do you still need help?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Matt
I will test the glow plugs and get back to you The fuel filter is new.
John
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

understood

Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

do you still need help?