Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I changed the spark plugs, leads, rotor arm and distributor

Customer Question

Hi, I changed the spark plugs, leads, rotor arm and distributor cap on my mk2 golf (1.6 driver) and now can't turn it on. When I turn the key in the ignition it turns over a few times before a popping/banging sound comes from somewhere in the engine (I believe, not from the exhaust anyway) and doesn't catch. Normally (especially when it's cold) it takes a while to start anyway, and the car hasn't been turned on in over a week.... So I don't know if this is part of the problem. Or potentially some debris got in when changing the plugs, or everything may have got a little damp.....
Anyway, I was wondering if these could be potential reasons for why it's all gone kaput or there's another issue that needs looking at.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Category: Volkswagen
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 8 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 8 months ago.

I'd say whats most likely is that the order of the plug leads onto the distributor cap is incorrect

this image shows the firing order and the direction of rotation of the distributor

its best to remove the distributor cap then turn the engine over until the pointer on the crank pulley is at TDC and then check the position of the rotor arm as it should be pointing to or just coming up to the correct post for the number 1 plug lead