Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I HAVE A 09 VW GOLF DIESIL S. THERE IS A MASSIVE SMELL OF

Customer Question

I HAVE A 09 VW GOLF DIESIL S. THERE IS A MASSIVE SMELL OF EXHAUST FUMES INSIDE THE CAR. IS THERE A SIMPLE SOLUTION LIKE CHANGING THE FILTERS (WHICH ONES), OR IS THERE A BIGGER PROBLEM TO SOLVE?
Category: Volkswagen
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Shantal
Yes, I would be happy to wait for some help as the problem still persists.Thanks.Mark.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

to get exhaust fumes in the car then I'd start by checking all the exhaust joints - where the manifold joins the head and the down pipe joints just before the catalyst - the best way to do this is to start the engine from cold and feel around each joint with your bare hands - feeling for exhaust gas blowing over your fingers - you'll have about 30 seconds before it all gets too hot.

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you