Enes
Enes, Volvo Master Technician
Experience:  18 yrs+. experience as Volvo & ASE Certified Master Technician.
20168386

my name is XXXXX XXXXX own a 1998 S40 volvo current mileage

Customer Question

my name is XXXXX XXXXX own a 1998 S40 volvo current mileage is 79000, my problem is brake
lights especially on the left-hand side when the foot pedal is pressed the top light on the screen comes and the right handside brake light comes on apart from the left, i have checked bulb which was okay but also replaced bulb and still the symptom occurs, i checked the light bulb circuit board for corrosion and also cleaned the board but still the problem persists, i now think the problem is deeper and could be a wiring problem but checking the manual the wiring connects from the panel to the light bulb holder, could there be a fuse in between or relay that is given a disconnection, on the dasehboard panel
there is fault display showing a bulb failure.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Walt-mod replied 4 years ago.

I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

Walter
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear Walt i thankyou for the reply yes i can wait a mo, but i would like an

answer soon because i wish to service the car for an MoT, my assumption is it could be wire or cable because all lights work apart from the brake light

on the left side, thks

Expert:  Doug C. replied 4 years ago.

The brake lights are fused together, so if you have one malfunctioning there will either be a problem at the lamp (board, bulb, connector) or a problem in the wiring.

Do you have power on the connector to the lamp housing on the left side when the brake is depressed?