Enes
Enes, Volvo Master Technician
Experience:  18 yrs+. experience as Volvo & ASE Certified Master Technician.
20168386

Hi was driving my 1999 S40 1.8i home last night when it started

Customer Question

Hi was driving my 1999 S40 1.8i home last night when it started surging and then seemed to go into limp mode and wouldn't rev past 2000, I managed to crawl home any ideas?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Enes replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Justanswer.com my name is Enes I'm a Certified Volvo Car Expert Mechanic.I'm going to try to help you find the help you need .can you get me error codes for engine menagment light you must use scsnner ! But you can have bad idle air control valve or maf sensor hard to say without those error codes from a scanner if you can give me that I tell you more
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't have a scanner so can't get codes, I spent all day stripping and cleaning the throttle housing to no avail and I unplugged the maf sensor and it made no difference. If I had a scanner and got the codes I could have identified the problem myself and fixed it. The car was fine and then it started to surge and within 2 hundred metres I lost all power and it wouldn't, rev above 1500/2000 revs. When I start the car it does rev but then the engine management starts to flash and what I assume is limp mode kicks in and it won't rev.