9445houston
9445houston, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Volvo Master Technician
74043546

My 2005 s40 diesel was a knock/rattle at idle which disappears

Customer Question

My 2005 s40 diesel was a knock/rattle at idle which disappears when revs are increased.
What is the most likely cause?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  9445houston replied 4 years ago.

9445houston :

9445houston :

9445houston :

The most common faults causing knocking on these cars is usually the flywheel. If you apply the clutch slowly you may notice a difference in the noise, and likely feel the knock/vibration through the pedal. Gearbox will need to be removed and flywheel checked for excess play unfortunately. If you would like to supply me with an audible recording of it to confirm please feel free? Best regards

9445houston :

Almost done! Your rating is required. Rate the answer you've received today (at least 3 or higher) so that I receive credit for helping you answer your question. Need more help? Reply below with more questions!