Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

The rocker box (not sure that s the right name for the part)

Customer Question

The rocker box (not sure that s the right name for the part) on my V70 diesel has failed. It has a split in it ! Have you heard of the this happening before.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Was this quite a substantial split on the rocker cover "thats the part over the top of the engine covering the camshafts with the oil filler cap on it",where exactly was it on the cover?

Had there been any previous work done on the car that may of involved having that removed before hand at some point?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes it was removed during the warranty period because the head gasket failed. I am told it is an hair line crack which can hardly be seen. They are going to let see the part later in the week. I could then send you a photo.

Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for getting back..

I can say its not really something personally ive heard off being a problem as such on these cars..the only way really a rocker cover could go that way is maybe due to improper bolt torque "ie: to tight" when it should be 10Nm or tightening sequence causing a hairline crack to form - maybe the cover gasket hadnt been seated properly -or had been lever off, or had been dropped at some stage during the last job etc..but it maybe little hard to prove that.unless the crack is seen coming from one of the bolt holes then it possible thats what gone wrong here maybe over tightened it and caused the cover to split - when removing a rocker cover you usually better to undo it in a spiral formation starting from the outer bolts and work your way in to the centre - and when refitting then its a case of from the centre bolt outwards so you evenly undoing and re-tightening the cover back on a bit like when doing a cylinder head..But as above that really about the only way that could of happened..I do hope this helps