Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

ALL FORWARD GEARS ARE WORKING,BUT I AM FINDING IT DIFFICULT

Customer Question

ALL FORWARD GEARS ARE WORKING,BUT I AM FINDING IT DIFFICULT IF NOT IMPOSSIBLE TO GET THE CAR IN TO REVERSE?????
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully I can help..

The first areas likely to check would be the gear selector side this between the gearstick and the transmission itself.if I recall they use a double cable set up/gear selector cables instead of normal selector rods..so those would certainly need to be inspected for wear in particular the ends/ball sockets for any excess movement or wear as suggested..another way is to try a select reverse gear at the gearbox end..if you can then this will suggest a fault as mentioned above with the selector side.if you can not still get reverse even manually at the gearbox then it going to be an internal problem I would imagine - cant see it being the clutch since as you say you can get all forward gears inc 1st which if the clutch was an issue then 1st and reverse even would be both difficult to select..also check for any possible trans leaks.any low oil in the gearbox itself may cause this too.but again usually can effect other gears aswell..so as above it going to have to be a check of the selector side of things and if these trun out to be ok then it does sound like the problem maybe internal..i do hope this helps..