Enes
Enes, Volvo Master Technician
Experience:  18 yrs+. experience as Volvo & ASE Certified Master Technician.
20168386

2008 Volvo S60 D5 manual deisel. Experiencing intermitant disengagement

Customer Question

2008 Volvo S60 D5 manual deisel. Experiencing intermitant disengagement of rear parking sensor system. Will operate satisfactorily for a while but then suddenly becomes disengaged and message on dash 'PARKING ASSIST SERVICE REQUIRED' ironically this started to occur after a very recent service. Could this have been caused when the engineer servicing the vehicle switched off the 'SERVICE REQUIRED' message on the computer being displayed prior to service being carried out? Or is one of the sensors on the blink?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Enes replied 4 years ago.

enesd : Hello and welcome to Justanswer.com my name is Enes I'm a Certified Volvo Car Expert Mechanic.I'm going to try to help you find the help you need .most the time you will stored error code and will tell you what position sensor is failed
enesd : most the time you will need one of the rear sensor and the sensor harness they corrode easy bumper has to come out to replace
enesd : also to know what sensor is bad you must use scanner at shop
enesd : Foloow up here
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Enesd,

Thank you for responding to my question however I do not quite understand the three descriptions you outline.

Can the problem be corrected without the need to place the vehicle in the hands of a specialist ?

I had hoped that it may just a simple problem with a loose connection to the wiring located in the cargo/boot area ?

John

Expert:  Enes replied 4 years ago.
No is not simple you need scanner to know what sensor to replace plus you need to reset system most the time one of the sensor fails or wiring going to sensor behind bumper goes bad . You must remove bumper to gain access