Enes
Enes, Volvo Master Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as Volvo & ASE Certified Master Technician.
20168386

My Partners S40 2.0 diesel car started to loose power and cut

Customer Question

My Partners S40 2.0 diesel car started to loose power and cut out whilst driving on the motorway. On the morning I had it booked into a local garage it would not start, I phoned the garage who sent out a mechanic to check it out. He coupled up a diagnostic computer which was showing injector fault. The car was towed away for repair the injectors were removed and sent away for checking but they came back OK. The mechanic then went deeper and found some faulty wiring to the injectors, having replaced and repaired the wiring the car then started up. However the loosing of power was still there and seemed even worse. Since then the petrol pump has been sent for checking also the voltage controller unit (which sends a signal to the injectors) both have come back as OK. The fuel pressure valve has been changed and the fuel line has also been checked, the mechanic has also checked that my partner did not fill the tank with petrol rather than diesel which she had not. The mechanic decided to have the injectors checked again but this time an intermittent fault was found on 2 of them. Having replaced the 2 faulty ones, it seems to have cured the loosing of power however the car will not idle now and the engine cuts out when ticking over. Apparently everything checks out the fuel and air pressure settings etc Now starting to worry and seeing the repair bill mounting the mechanic said there is only the the EGR valve to check but he was was not 100% sure this would cure it and I would have to pay for the replacement even if the old one was OK. The garage has just phoned and said that they had blanked off a feed pipe to the EGR and it had made no difference therefore the EGR should be OK but again said they can not be 100% sure. Please help
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Enes replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Justanswer.com my name is Enes I'm a Certified Volvo Car Expert Mechanic.I'm going to try to help you find the help you need .is your problem happening now all the time ? If problem is not there it will be hard to repair best is wait and drive until you feel problem all the time !
Now I would either clean or replace egr valve they do go bad with time and can be sticky dont respond and give your problems
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes the problem is there now, the engine rev's up OK but just cuts out when idling (ticking over)

Expert:  Enes replied 3 years ago.
They must check egr valve it can do the problem also they need to have advanced volvo scanner to make sure no other fault codes are stored only volvo advanced scanner can pick up it up